A friend introduces me to SAGA – historical war-games. I’ve seen it around in my social media feeds, I always fobbed it off as that weird game for history buffs.
It’s actually pretty good!
Model sculpts are poo though.
old mate gave my the crash course.. …. its one of the first games I have gone into without doing any reading of the rules before an intro game.
we were both not feeling the best, He was nursing a hangover from the SAGA tourney the day before….
I was still recuperating from severe food poisoning that weekend. seriously, it was bad. shit myself twice whilst projectile vomiting nothing but bile… oooff… there is a mental image you didn’t need.
So no beers tonight.
- small war-bands led by a Warlord
- War-band does stuff via a battle board
- beginning of your turn you roll special, war-band specific dice. The results of which determine which war-band abilities and activation’s you can do
- you get 1 of these dice per unit and 2 for the warlord. they are a precious resource. You loose them when you lose units and the warlord through out the game
- warlords are squishy
- everything dies in the end
- only 1 V 1 combat, unless you use a Warlord ability to activate and send in a unit with you
First off I ran with stock Vikings, pretty simple.
Second I used JomsVikings. These things just seem unfair. All of their battle board is your opponent either lets you do something cool or allows you to build wrath – which is used later to do something cool, like I don’t know… um… spend 1 wrath, opponent removes the members of his war-band. Or how about spend 1 wrath add twice your wrath level in attack dice to the combat….or maybe auto hit with hits equal to current wrath level?!
Fortunately the wrath is capped at 6 and you cannot have more than double your attacks in a melee.
There were 2 times I had a Warlord and Hearthguard(elites) in combat throwing 23- 36 dices because of that! at a unit with 8 wounds! or a single warlord in which I only need to wound him twice!
Fortunately, I have a dice rolling disability and he had an ability to re roll failed saves once. So weathered the first onslaught however became pink mist in the second.
I liked the game. Its good beer and chips. Its a different mechanic. Its Historical. Its got Scotsmen and Irishmen.
I will invest and add this to the rotation.